Friday, June 30, 2006

My new cooking find

I have recently discovered cooking with dried beans and I love it! I have found a few really good recipes and I just love the concept. Dried beans are dirt cheap (now I understand why Dave Ramsey uses “beans and rice” as his mantra of budget conscious eating, and they are so flexible. You can soak them overnight if you are planned or for a few hours in boiling water if you are in a hurry. Mostly though, beans are just so good for you. A quarter cup of lentils provide 50% of your fiber needs for a day. And none of us get the fiber that we should. Here are a few recipes that I have used recently and liked.

Lentil chili

Butter beans

Red beans and rice

Refried beans with homemade tortillas, garden fresh tomatoes, and a little bit of shredded sharp cheddar

Tonight, we’re trying the black bean soup…we’ll see!

No comments: