Saturday, June 10, 2006

Dry county

So I just read in the paper (in the section with the police blotter) that someone was arrested for “possessing liquor in a dry county.” Another section contained a lengthy article describing some people’s disapproval of M.A.D.D.’s stance allowing for responsible alcohol consumption after age 21. So, I’m wondering….is someone going to come and take me away for the bottle of bourbon in my pantry?

We were looking for a place that sells wine (to celebrate the end of the visit with the Virginia ladies and their hard work) this past Thursday, but to no avail. Phillip told me that there is a law against the sale of wine and liquor in Attala County. We were interrupted at that point in the conversation and so I didn’t get him to elaborate. However, he did have Joe over to drink Bass Ale and smoke cigars a week ago.

The article was about an arrest for possessing liquor and this being a “dry county” and I’m starting to worry. Not even that Joe and I drink much at all (in fact, the last time that we bought wine was over a year ago), but neither am I used to it being prohibited. Add to that the fact that beer is sold in the grocery stores and I am completely befuddled. Beer seems much more likely to be overly consumed leading to drunkenness than wine. Which goes back to my original concern…what is going on here?

No comments: