Saturday, April 12, 2008

Practicing hospitality

I have been thinking recently about the dichotomy between hospitality and entertaining. Like many things I ponder, my thoughts are influenced by things that I have read but can't remember exactly where. So, if you've heard this before, you must've read the same article and if you can remember where, let me know!


The premise behind the article was that there was a distinct difference between hospitality and entertaining and that we should strive for the former over the latter. Entertaining brings up images of perfectly laid tables, elaborate menus, a sparkling home, and an unhurried hostess overseeing it all with charm and grace. Hospitality brings more homey images to mind—warm fellowship with friends new and old, laughing until there are tears in your eyes. While entertaining is concerned with impressing guests, hospitality focuses on welcoming people into your home and your life.


Mark Driscoll speaks about the home as a place “where God and His people dwell together for purposes of ministry.” He says the same could be said about the the temple, the church, and heaven.


Does that change how we view our homes? Not simply places to sleep between mad forays into the daily grind of life, but centers of ministry whereby we love our families and reach out to a watching world.


Being hospitable is listed among the requirements for elders in Titus 1:8. Being hospitable is also the mark of a life lived in obedience to Christ as part of the attributes of Godly widows described in 1 Timothy 5:10. It is also generally proscribed to all Christians as a way to show love to one another through service in 1 Peter 4:8-10. So we know that it is Biblical, but do we do it?


Much has been written about the decline of hospitality in our culture and the varying causes and remedies. I will offer just a few short suggestions that have motivated and encouraged me as I have sought to help Joe in offering hospitality.



Throw away Southern Living and Martha Stewart!

Did I just say that and is there a band of sweet Southern ladies coming to tar and feather me as I sit here?

One of the main hindrances to hospitality is thinking that your __________ isn't good/fancy/expensive/big/whatever enough to offer to others. Realize that God has given you what you have, be content, and be willing to share. Americans who travel abroad almost always find themselves the surprised recipients of gracious hospitality from people who have little to offer, but offer what they have with sincerity and joy.


Do what you can

For our family, being intentional about hospitality means inviting people into our home and the craziness that is life with 4 small boys. I always serve the same meal. Homemade pizza with whatever toppings I have on hand and oven-hot cookies for dessert. Sometimes I make other side dishes, sometimes I don't have time to. Dinner is loud, the food is served buffet style, and you almost always have to refill your own drink. I do look forward to the days where I can be a bit more fancy, but this is where I am now and may God use it to His glory!


Pick a day

Once you get into the habit of practicing hospitality, it gets easier and easier. There are several families in our church that have two or three families and singles over for Sunday dinner after the morning worship service. I have been blessed to watch how these ladies invite not just those who are their close friends, but new attenders, widows, and people that they don't know well. Our family has been blessed by many gracious offers of hospitality from those in our church...and that is no small accomplishment! My boys are generally well-behaved, but there are 4 of them and they are little and so I am always so thankful that people have us over anyway!

We have chosen Friday nights to be our night for having people over for dinner and are just getting back into the habit of doing so after a hiatus when Charlie was born. Knowing that this is our intention every Friday night helps us to remember to invite people and be consistent about it.


Just do it!

It is fun. It is Biblical. It is part of living authentically and letting people into your life. Pray about it. Talk to your husband about it. And see how God might be calling you to offer hospitality.


Here are a few additional resources out there that I would recommend on this topic:


Women as Homebuilders

This sermon from Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church in Seattle has a lot to say not just about hospitality, but about women in general. At just over an hour, it is a long sermon, but worth every minute! (***If you are on a slow internet connection like me, you can set your computer to download it just before you go to bed and that way won't tie up your phone line for hours during the day.)


Finding Reliable Men: Hospitable

This post by Thabiti Anyabwile is great and gave me a lot of my foundation for this post.

6 comments:

Skamamama said...

as always hallie...i love your thoughtful insight & wisdom! we love having people over for fellowship and building relationships!
-rs

Katie said...

Great thoughts, Hallie.

I was at a presentation recently where the presenter was trying to get us to buy various home decor and food items. Her motivation was that we wanted people to walk into our house and say, "Wow!"

Now THAT sure sounds like entertaining, not hospitality. :)

Hallie Holland said...

Well I must admit that I am a bit biased from the start against her line of reasoning because I don't think I'll ever have a "wow" house. :)

But I should add to my original post that I don't think that having nice things precludes hospitality. It just is not where I am right now. And focusing on things to the exclusion of people can cripple hospitality.


Who knows, one day I might have time to be more Martha Stewart-like! :)

Katie said...

It's funny that you mention Martha Stewart, because we always joke that your mom is the Martha Stewart of the family... laying bricks, making homemade bread, doing everything on her own by hand. :) (I realize this is a different line of thought than what you wrote about.)

Anonymous said...

I love everything you said! Especially distinguishing between impressing and serving! I can learn from you ,because I am old enough to have pretty things but still need to think about the differnce! Hospitality puts people at ease! Impressing makes them want to go home and compete!
Love, Meg

Hallie Holland said...

Katie--She IS Martha Stewart, isn't she?

Meg--"Hospitality puts people at ease! Impressing makes them want to go home and compete!"
So true! That summarizes my whole post in 2 sentences. :)