Sunday, January 30, 2005

We’re still struggling with sickness here. Both boys have colds that have morphed into more. Both have awful coughs and we took Will to the after-hours doctor yesterday. Today, we added bigger fevers and diarrhea. Fun, fun!

Tomorrow is my 27th birthday. My good friend M turned 30 about a month ago, but our kids are the same ages and so I really don’t feel she is that much older than me. Thirty is a few years off still and so I am trying not to let it loom too large. M and I talked about her turning 30 and she handled it with such grace. It still seems daunting to me. I hope that I am as contented in where the Lord has me as I age.

Do any of you struggle as I do to keep the right perspective on beauty and aging? As my post-baby body adjusts back to what it will be like from now on, I am tempted to be discontented and regret the changes. But I do rejoice in my boys and know that my goal in life is not to keep a flawless body. My goal is to glorify God in my daily life as a wife and mama. For me, that means dealing with the age and decline of my physical self as I nurture and welcome little ones into the world. The bodily effects of motherhood are a result of the blessing of my children and part of God’s marvelous plan for my good and sanctification.

So, tonight in the few minutes that I have had to reflect, my mind has flown in a million directions and I’ve only been able to write one tenth of my thoughts. Mainly though, I have been reminded again of God’s sovereignty and of His blessings. Body image and aging—yet another place where I need His eyes to see the truth.

No comments: