Wednesday, November 17, 2004

My xanga writing has diminished recently partly because I didn't know what to say and partly because I haven't taken much time to sit at the computer. We brought the TV from out of storage to watch a movie last weekend when my mother in law was here, and I made the mistake of not asking my husband to put it right back away. So, I've wasted some time recently watching TV. I have folded laundry, cleaned the kitchen, made dinner, made bread, cleaned, etc. while watching some days, but some days I just vegged and that is not who I want to be. I've been reading online about women who inspire me to be more and do more and that is where I want to focus.

Philllipians 4:8 says: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-- think about such things." This verse is so appropriate, because I want my heart and mind to be filled with things excellent, praiseworthy, right, admirable, true, and noble. I don't want to have the things of this world (which already are so omnipresent) seep into every facet of my mind. I want to think about what is noble and excellent, not what is base and superfluous.

I think that is one of the reasons that I don't like watching TV. (Actually, that sentence isn't quite right. I DO like watching TV. However, a better way to say it is that I think that watching TV is not the best for me.) The stories fill my mind with things that are not uplifting, and they don't inspire me to be more than what I already am. When I read a good article or book about someone's struggles towards Christlikeness or patience in affliction or peace in persecution, it spurs me on towards love and good deeds (Hebrews 10:24). After a few hours in front of the "boob tube" (as my mom always called it when I was growing up), I feel drained and tired, as if my life has paled in comparison to the action of what I watch.

But that is just the opposite of the truth. In Christ, we have life abundant. Life to the full! Jesus said, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10. The shallow storylines of the typical drama or sitcom cannot offer any fullness, only glitter and frosting. A life in Christ is deep waters and fruitful vines.

May I fix my eyes on the author and perfecter of my faith (Heb 12:2) and may the world grow dim in His light.

"So then, turn your eyes upon Him, look full in­to His face and you will find that the things of earth will ac­quire a strange new dimness."
from Fo­cused, by Lil­lian Trott

No comments: