Monday, November 22, 2004

I spent the boys’ dual naptime (the hour or so that their naps overlap) to plan for Thanksgiving. The Flylady has a helpful section on Thanksgiving, and I used her lists as a starting point for getting together a plan. I want to be the type of hostess that is not so busy running around that she is unable to enjoy her family and guests. And I want to be a good cook (cooking yummy things from scratch), clean housekeeper (no clutter or dust bunnies everywhere), and joyful person (with a genuine smile). And on top of that I don’t want it to be formality, but to be born out of a real servant heart towards my family as I rejoice in the work that God has called me to. I am thankful that God is still working on me as I learn more and more in all of these areas. I am FAR from attaining these goals, but “do not {want to] grow weary in doing good”(Galatians 6:9).

One of the things that I learned from Laine was realizing that I am “in process” still and that God is still working on me, not just in daily santification, but also in growing me to be a housewife. I can allow myself to learn, to try new ideas and recipes and methods, and to fail. I can realize that things won’t always be perfect or even good, but that God is concerned with my attitudes. A willing heart, a teachable heart, a satisfied heart, and a joyful heart—these are the things that I want to cultivate as I learn. Laine always wrote with such enthusiasm about her jobs as a wife and mom. I was thinking yesterday that I should work at my jobs here at home with even more vigor than I would at a job outside of home. I can read and learn new skills just as I would if I were trying to advance in a new career area.

Anyway, today I planned everything that I would need to do each day to have a stress-free Thanksgiving. I want to do a little to prepare each day so that it is not overwhelming at the last minute. Today, I polished my silver candlesticks and washed out my big Armetale bowl for decorating the table. I got out all of the serving dishes that I plan to use and stuck a post-it note in each specifying what will go in it. I stuck my turkey in the fridge to thaw, and I wrote out my plan for the rest of the week. I still need to get out my serving utensils and my linen tablecloth. I also need to double-check my recipes to see if there is anything that I need to buy.

Will, Joseph, and I leave next Monday to go to Virginia for my little sister’s wedding. We’ll be there for about a week and a half before the wedding to visit, and Joe will join us the day before. That means that that Joe will be here by himself for almost 2 weeks! He has already told me that he’ll miss us and I know that he will. The house will be so quiet without us, I’m sure. I am planning on leaving him lots of things already prepared for him to eat, but he’s not a big cook, so I’m not sure what he’ll use.

No comments: