Sunday, October 17, 2004

It is a tricky thing to be a wife. I want to honor my husband and give him the freedom to lead our family, but I don’t know how to do that in the day to day things of life. This week, Joe has had a lot of difficult things happen with the youth group—kids in trouble and parents upset. On the one hand, I want him to feel only support and encouragement from me so that he has a safe home to rely on. On the other hand, I disagree with some of the ways he handles things and want to tell him so. How can I balance those? I know it is possible with care, but too often my emotions overwhelm my good intentions. He also has been working so much that we have had too little time together and so I am not as tender towards him as I should be.

I just got interrupted while writing this by a phone call. My friend called at just the right time and I think it was an answer to prayer. I think that I need to take a step back and just be his wife. I need to be a bit removed from all of the controversy and just be on his side. I do love him and want him to know such support from home. I know that is the right thing now…why do I always have to get my opinion in there?

And as for one good lesson to come from all of this:

Note to self: When my boys are teenagers, realize that they are NOT perfect. If an adult says they did something wrong, deal with it with my sons. Don’t accuse the adult of not handling the situation right or of embarrassing my sons by pointing out they were wrong.

No comments: