Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Time out

I was just getting back into blogging, but it seems like God has other plans for me for a time. As of last Friday afternoon, we have been granted custody of 2 children from our church whose parents are going through a divorce with some unusual extra issues--a little girl, who is 3 and a boy, who is 8. We are also supervising visitation with their parents 5 out of 7 days a week (the exceptions being Wednesdays and Sundays when we are at church). It all happened very quickly and we are unsure how long this arrangement will last.

So, what does this mean? Besides the obvious fact that I probably won't have much blogging time :) , it also means that we would appreciate your prayers on our behalf. For our marriage and our boys as we all adjust to the new schedule and having little time together. For these dear children, that we would be enabled to love them selflessly and meet their needs. And for their parents during this difficult time. Pray that all of us would be drawn to depend on God's abounding grace and strength. Pray that we would be daily reminded that Christ's death on the cross not only pays for our sins, but frees us to live lives of love and service. Pray that the children would all get along. Pray that I would be patient as I care for 6! children daily.

Joe and I have always said that we wanted our home to be open to those in need and for our hospitality to be taken to radical extremes to love people and share our lives with people. (1 Thes. 2:8) I had always pictured us opening our home to an unwed teenage mom who chose to give up her baby for adoption or something. I just always pictured it about 10 years from now! But there are so many ways that God clearly called us....to this....now.

We have been doing very well so far, but are also daunted as we look to the future. We don't all fit into the minivan and so are having to take 2 cars everywhere, although we haven't gotten out much. :) I was supposed to go to Texas for my sister Meg's baby shower in just over a week and my parents were supposed to come for a visit. We were starting to plan for the future and were thinking about putting the house on the market again. We had vacations planned, a daily routine that worked for us, time....See how easy it is to get into the "what ifs"?

Can I trust that God has a plan in this that is for my good and His glory?

Can I trust that He is leading us and will lead in the future, giving us grace to handle each day?

His mercies are new every morning and His faithfulness IS truly great.

So that is where we are and where I will be....in the middle of the fun and busyness of our home, loving one wonderful man and for now, 6 precious children.

7 comments:

Meredith said...

I'm proud of your selfless attitude, Hallie, and you will have my prayers!

Kellie Grogg said...

My goodness, what a handful. I often think about you on days that I am struggling manageing the girls. Your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

K said...

Hallie, thank you for taking the 2 children in. What a blessing it will be in their lives, since things aren't "normal" for them right now, but that they can know that you and Joe are there for them. A consistent place for them that is safe, even if a bit crazy with 4 boys running around! Thank you for serving Jesus and loving His little ones...We will be praying for you all.

Katie said...

My prayers will be with you too. I agree with k--this is going to be such a blessing to those children.

Anonymous said...

Wow do you have a task before you - and I thought caring for a newborn was hard (feel free to laugh at me:). I will also pray for you, but know that you will do a great job. Thank you for being an encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that last comment was from me.

Martha

Hallie Holland said...

Thanks for all of the support and prayers....

And Martha, I would never laugh at you. Okay....well, not for that anyway. :)
I have thought about it over the past day or so since I saw your comment and I'm not sure that a newborn isn't harder. I have always had a rough time adjusting to a new baby and the first is especially hard.
Plus, I think that God gives us grace to handle what He gives us to do...one day at a time and just enough for that day (and none for any worrying about the future).