Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Free furniture!

We actually have a craigslist for Northern Mississippi that I check from time to time and about a week ago, I spotted an ad for a dresser, night stand, and headboard for $50. It sounded nice and we need another dresser as the boys already fill theirs and soon David's clothes will have to be stored in the boys' room too. The furniture was in Starkville though (which is about 45 minutes from here) and we just couldn't work out a time to get it. The boys were all sick and we didn't need the extra stress of a road trip.

Imagine my surprise when I saw yesterday that the set was now listed for free! Well, that was just too good to pass up and so Joe drove last night and got the furniture. He had one of his favorite kids from the Jackson youth group (who goes to State in Starkville) meet him there and help him carry the heavy pieces and afterwards they got a chance to catch up. He got home late last night and so I didn't get a clear look at everything until this morning.

I really like it! It is old (the college-aged girl said it was her grandmother's furniture) and the finish is worn, but the basic structure is beautiful. And I love the old fashioned pulls. I am going to ask my dad what to do to fix the finish the best way because I think with a little work it could be beautiful. In the meantime, it is old and that is fine too.

I am so thankful for the provision of free, pretty furniture.

Here it the dresser (in my living rooom--we haven't put it away yet)


And an up close shot of one of the pulls--isn't that pretty?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's incredible! Or, should I say, absolutely believable that God provided just what you needed at a price that can't be beat.

I love hearing about finds like these.

Anonymous said...

that could be BirdsEye Maple! Have the wood checked out, even if you are determined to paint at least you'll know. You may have a very valuable set in which case painting would ruin its collectible-ness.

I'm here from likemerchantships.

Carrie J said...

I agree with anonymous that you should check out the value of the piece before painting. It looks very nice in the picture and if has any value painting would destroy it. It is lovely.

Hallie Holland said...

I think that is is mahogany because Joe (my hubby) says that it had "Mahog." stamped on the back. We won't do anything with it now (too busy getting things planted in the garden), but might refinish it in the future. The wood is just too pretty to paint.
Thanks Meredith for the mention and welcome to all of the new guests. It is fun to share happy news!

cdorsey said...

Great find. It is gorgeous!

Catherine
http://angelfoodcakeisntacandle.blogspot.com

sheila from life @ #17 said...

wow! what a great find :)

It is just beautiful