Sunday, November 18, 2007

Rainy Sunday

Today Joe preached and served communion at the homecoming service of a small church about an hour from here. We enjoyed the potluck lunch after the service and the gracious hospitality of the people there. It was a very Southern experience all around. Here are a few verses of an excellent communion hymn that focuses on the believer's awe in response to Christ's sacrifice (see the whole song here).

O Sacred Head, Now Wounded
by Ber­nard of Clair­vaux

O sacred Head, now wounded, with grief and shame weighed down,
Now scornfully surrounded with thorns, Thine only crown;
O sacred Head, what glory, what bliss till now was Thine!
Yet, though despised and gory, I joy to call Thee mine.

What Thou, my Lord, hast suffered, was all for sinners’ gain;
Mine, mine was the transgression, but Thine the deadly pain.
Lo, here I fall, my Savior! ’Tis I deserve Thy place;
Look on me with Thy favor, vouchsafe to me Thy grace.

What language shall I borrow to thank Thee, dearest friend,
For this Thy dying sorrow, Thy pity without end?
O make me Thine forever, and should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never outlive my love to Thee.

No comments: