Thursday, May 17, 2007

Bits and pieces

Still struggling with issues at church, but we have already seen God's goodness, mercy, and unexpected work.

On the pregnancy front, I was marveling at how good I felt last week and this week is another story, unfortunately. But, we are in the final stretch now and that is exciting!

Will and I traveled to Jackson yesterday for an appointment with an orthopedist about his legs. For now, the dr. just suggested getting him some good support shoes and so I ordered some New Balances for him this morning. We'll see if that seems to help.

Edited to add (thanks, Katie): Oops, forgot that I hadn't written about Will yet. What I first noticed about a month ago was that one of his knees seemed to bend in when he was standing. He also started falling and hurting his knees--talking about them bending or poppping--and then he would limp badly or refuse to walk (which means it was significant pain; he's usually pretty rough and tumble). Children are naturally "knock-knee-ed" (even the dr. used this term) and then grow out of it, but Will is more than normally so. The orthopedist said that he also had pronated feet and that his hips rotated in too. All of these things are connected and interrelated, and that is what the shoes are supposed to help. The dr. said he also might have a problem with his meniscus, but couldn't tell for sure.

We are generally a Keds-in-the-winter, plain, brown leather buckle sandals-in-the-summer sort of family, and so it would be nice if some more supportive shoes would help. The problem is (as I found out while shopping today online) not many small kids shoes come with the kinds of support and stability that will help. Anything under a size 10.5 in New Balance is an infant shoe with nothing fancy about it. In recommending that we buy Will some New Balance shoes, I think that the dr. was thinking about how you can find great adult shoes with stability features as he wears NB himself. And I bet he often recommends them to his adult patients as a first step in trying to help.

My MIL and SIL are coming for the weekend and I am working today to try to get some extra meals in the freezer for when the baby comes. I have a few now and I know that I will wish I had many more!

We still haven't made final determinations for a name for this little one. We're pretty settled on our girl's name since we've had it for 4 years, but are still wavering on a boy's name. We are thinking about doing a non-family name, but aren't sure since the other boys all have family names for people that we love and admire. I guess we'd better talk about it more and soon!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Everyone else probably already knows, but what about Will's legs prompted you to take him to a doctor? (One reason I ask is I wonder if Nate has the same thing--he walks on the insides of his feet quite noticeably.)